why ‘The Stylish Disaster’?

When I tell people what my blog URL is, it usually gets a good-natured chortle, and that was kind of the point: style and snark, all in one title. Imma get real with y’all for a sec, if you’ll allow me. The Stylish Disaster, to me, is such a fitting moniker because I feel like a total disaster probably 75 percent of the time. The other 25 percent is largely driven by...

game changer: the front tuck

Does anyone else get into style ruts where you just feel like you want to burn your closet to the ground and start from scratch? This reliably happens to me around mid-season, when the current season’s clothes have gotten tiresome and it’s not yet time for the next season to start. But I’m here to tell you about a clothing trick that has transformed my look and kept things fresh long...

why I believe in slow fashion

A few of my slow fashion favorites. Top to bottom: wooden beaded necklace in Iceland, Dusen Dusen, Twelve, Teysha, Interlaced Goods, Hai Clothing. I first heard the phrase “slow fashion” at a fashion/design symposium I attended in Seattle nearly five years ago. Though I suppose I intellectually understood what it meant at the time, I didn’t really appreciate slow fashion for all that it stood for. My trip to Iceland last...